Started by Nypa

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

15 posts in this topic
Nypa

13 posts 2 threads Joined: Mar 2019
04-11-2019, 09:31 AM -
Hi!

I'm facing some trouble with my Samsung 970 Evo SSD in Mojave build. I also use a Samsung 860 Evo SATA in my build which works like expected. The 970 however is very laggy and the write speed is extremely low. The read speed is almost always around 3000 MB/s (but sometimes inconsistent) but the write speed is as low as 4 MB/s... Any idea of what the problem might be?

Best regards, 
Mark
hi my name is mark

227 posts 8 threads Joined: Dec 2018
04-11-2019, 09:40 AM -
Hey Nypa, run this command and let me know what the output is:
Code:
system_profiler SPSerialATADataType | grep 'TRIM'
hi guys welcome back to my roblox tutorial.
Nypa

04-11-2019, 10:08 AM -
(04-11-2019, 09:40 AM)Mark Wrote: Hey Nypa, run this command and let me know what the output is:
Code:
system_profiler SPSerialATADataType | grep 'TRIM'

Thanks for answering! The output is "Trim support: No". However, that is for the SATA disk right? And I've read that my 860 Evo SATA are not suggested to "apply" Trim to, even if it might be doable. And it might not be necessary since it seems to be working fine. The problematic drive is my 970 Evo Plus, and I just, through some more research, found out that the 970 Evo Plus is very problematic with Hackintosh whereas the older 970 Evo works fine... I guess that there is nothing to do but to buy a new 970 Evo, not the Plus version... My current 970 Evo Plus does, however, according to System information support Trim. Any thoughts?
Mark
hi my name is mark

04-11-2019, 10:53 AM -
I haven't really messed with NVME drives, but I know they're not too fun to play around with. I don't know what else you could do.

TRIM modifies the file system to decrease the reads and writes to SSDs, to preserve their lifespan. I don't see why it'd be bad to enable it on your other SSD.
Nypa

04-11-2019, 12:42 PM -
(04-11-2019, 10:53 AM)Mark Wrote: I haven't really messed with NVME drives, but I know they're not too fun to play around with. I don't know what else you could do.

TRIM modifies the file system to decrease the reads and writes to SSDs, to preserve their lifespan. I don't see why it'd be bad to enable it on your other SSD.

Alright, I see. My doubt comes from this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/222077/how-to-...-mac-os-x/ which specifies that they do not recommend enabling Trim on Samsung 800-series... But I have no idea.
Mark
hi my name is mark

04-11-2019, 03:07 PM -
I'm going to have to say the benefits of using TRIM outweigh the cons, as long as you have some form of a backup. Me personally, I've never seen a file system become corrupt after using TRIM. I'd say to use it anyways, just have a backup of some sort.

Can you use your SATA drive for macOS instead or the NVME?
Nypa

04-11-2019, 04:56 PM -
(04-11-2019, 03:07 PM)Mark Wrote: I'm going to have to say the benefits of using TRIM outweigh the cons, as long as you have some form of a backup. Me personally, I've never seen a file system become corrupt after using TRIM. I'd say to use it anyways, just have a backup of some sort.

Can you use your SATA drive for macOS instead or the NVME?

Alright, I'm glad to hear that. I think I'll try to use the guide I provided and enable trim. I am using my SATA drive for macOS now and the NVMW for media storage during video editing. But the drive is useless since it is so laggy and dysfunctional. I might buy the older version 970 NVME (not the Plus version) since it seems to be working according to some other Hackintoshers out here. I would really like the speed for editing purposes...
Mark
hi my name is mark

04-11-2019, 07:45 PM -
Completely understandable. Maybe put it up on Reddit and see if someone will trade you (or buy it from you).
Nypa

04-14-2019, 01:41 AM -
(04-11-2019, 07:45 PM)Mark Wrote: Completely understandable. Maybe put it up on Reddit and see if someone will trade you (or buy it from you).

Yes absolutely, will do! Thank you very much for your help! 

Just when we are in the discussion, may I ask you another question here or should I start a new thread? I'll move it if it is wrong.

This might be a difficult problem to diagnose and solve, but once in a while, I've noticed it only during video streaming on Youtube and while editing videos in Premiere Pro, the screen turns just dark grey and everything freezes. My guess is that it has with the graphics card to do since it seems like the computer is running "normally" in the background, only the screen is frozen... I Have to force restart and then everything works fine again. Very annoying problem and I have not yet been able to see any error log when booting again since I turn off the computer manually instead of the computer turning off by itself. I am using a Radeon Vega 56 8GB.
Mark
hi my name is mark

04-14-2019, 02:36 AM -
That's an odd issue... Maybe try installing Lilu and WhateverGreen and see if that works? Those two kexts usually fix a lot of graphical issues. Let me know the outcome.