"Segmentation fault" when running the Terminal command
Started by dew

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
dew

6 posts 1 threads Joined: Jul 2019
07-30-2019, 09:46 PM -
Hello! I was following Mark's nice Mojave USB Hackintosh guide (both video and written forms), but I reached a dead end as soon as I had to run the Terminal command to install Mojave on my GUID-formatted HFS+ Journaled 8GB USB drive. This command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --nointeraction --volume /Volumes/USB/

After inputing the password, I was near-instantly given the message "Segmentation fault".

I'm on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, by the way. Intel Core 2 Duo 32-bit, with 4 GB of RAM and no other programs running.

Using UniBeast instead of this guide also fails with an error, probably because it tries the exact same thing under the hood.

Incidentally, the USB is intended for a different computer, which is a 64-bit i5 Sandy Bridge laptop that is supposedly considerably compatible, a Samsung RV420, with reports of it working for some others. But of course, without the USB, I cannot even get started on it.

Help?
Mark
hi my name is mark

241 posts 8 threads Joined: Dec 2018
07-31-2019, 01:34 AM -
Hey, are you sure the computer you're using has a Core 2 Duo and not a Core Duo processor? Check About This Mac to be certain.
hi guys welcome back to my roblox tutorial.
dew

07-31-2019, 02:19 AM -
(07-31-2019, 01:34 AM)Mark Wrote: Hey, are you sure the computer you're using has a Core 2 Duo and not a Core Duo processor? Check About This Mac to be certain.

Positively! "Processor 2.79 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo" on the "About This Mac" window. Same is stated in Windows 7.

I looked things up a lot, and it seems there may be some bug with using "createinstallmedia" specifically with 10.6.8 (and earlier?) that, maybe, is leading to this issue.

I pretty much lost all hope that I can hackintosh my Samsung RV420 by now given this problem and my current conditions, and yet, I'm still trying to keep going... So right now, I'm trying to see if there's a more "manual" way to copy Mojave's files over to the USB drive in such a way that, when combined with Clover, it becomes bootable and works in terms of reaching the goal of having a USB Mojave Installer.

If it matters (although it probably doesn't), I do have access to PPC Macs with 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5, both regular and Server versions, besides this Core 2 Duo 10.6 Hackintosh of mine, if any of them can assist with preparing the USB files.

EDIT: Ah, I started wondering why you asked if I was sure about the processor, and it seems "Core 2 Duo" was a 64-bit processor all along... And I never knew! All because this is a Dell machine that, originally, came with a 32-bit version of Windows installed. Meanwhile "Core Duo" was truly 32-bit.
But is it possible this knowledge can assist me?
dew

07-31-2019, 09:27 AM -
Ok, so, I got some new information.

First, while it seems Snow Leopard has its issues with "createinstallmedia", my specific issue was either due to:
- Slightly different syntax is required on Snow Leopard, as seen here: https://diskmakerx.com/wp-content/upload...00x201.png
- An 8GB drive isn't big enough, requiring 16GB+ drives, since I didn't have the segmentation error when trying to create a bootable USB drive with El Capitan instead of Mojave (Mojave is a bit bigger).
And/Or it happened for other reasons. Those two items above are just guesses.

But even then, it seems true Snow Leopard indeed can't create bootable USB drives that way: I had the exact same error as seen in that screenshot above. The screenshot is from DiskMakerX's creator, used in this page: http://diskmakerx.com/?p=222

In any case, pretty exhausting stuff...
Mark
hi my name is mark

07-31-2019, 12:27 PM -
Yeah, you need to run a more modern version of OS X/macOS. That's most likely your issue. You can install Oracle Virtual Box and install macOS on it.
dew

08-01-2019, 06:20 AM -
Yes, VMs are an option. Well, in any case, I ended up preparing an El Capitan USB in Snow Leopard using UniBeast (somehow, that combination works), and managed to hackintosh the Samsung RV420 laptop with it. (After trying a few different plugins via trial and error.) From there, I can actually create a Mojave USB Installer with your original instructions.

I have another problem now, though, but I'm not sure if I should create another thread or not, since it's a different one. But in short, whether I meticulously follow the tutorial (video or written one), or even use UniBeast 9.2.0, my Mojave installer near-instantly shows me the "prohibition sign" / forbidden sign or whatever it's called. No matter what plists I use, no matter what kexts I use, I always get it instantaneously. This one:

http://iosbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2...e_Stop.png

Should I try different options with the Clover install? Any tips?
dew

08-01-2019, 09:55 AM -
Just a little update (in case anything I say is ever helpful to anyone else): the reason I had the block sign is because my clover version was, to my understanding, not suitable for Mojave, as it was too old for it. And the reason I even used an older version was because it seemed the latest ones would hang Clover up, making it not start. But! After a lot of trial and error, it turned out the newest versions of Clover DO work... But the wait time between POST and Clover's UI, instead of taking the usual 1-2 seconds, took around 5-10 minutes. Booting up Mojave's installer also took another minute or two. But Mojave was actually booting this time. In the middle of loading Mojave, though, I got the forbidden sign again.

Right now I'm looking into:
- Why is Clover taking so many times longer than before and what can be done;
- Why loading Mojave still failed, although much later on in the loading process.

EDIT: Ok, I got the solution to the first problem. For some reason, config.plists suggested everywhere come with the "Debug" attribute/key within the "Boot" attribute/key set to "true", and changing that to "false" fixes it! It's still not as fast as 1-2 seconds like before, but it's still very reasonable, like 3-4 seconds, so very small difference. (All this is over USB 2.0 speed, btw, so with an SSD with SATA or the even faster NVMe would make this difference in time unnoticeable).

Now only the second problem is left. Once I solve that problem as well, I'll be back with the update.

EDIT 2: Yeah, I think I give up for now. The forbidden sign always shows up at the exact same moment, which is right after the load bar is filled a tiny bit past the middle. I tried using all the .kexts from my working El Capitan installation, and/or drivers64UEFIs, but no luck, no matter what combination I go with.
Incidentally, if I try booting El Capitan with the same Clover configuration I prepared for Mojave, El Capitan shows the forbidden sign, too, at exactly the same point. There's something about my latest Clover version & settings that does not go well with any Mac OS X. I have no idea what else I can try anymore.

EDIT 3: Well, after further testing & research, it seems nearly guaranteed that the issue I'm having is related to config.plist. I have no idea how to edit the plist in any meaningful way... So I'm just completely stuck there. Any suggestions?

EDIT 4: I got to boot into Mojave, install it and even update it to 10.14.6. The solution for me was to change the plist, with Clover Configurator, in a way to change the product model code from some iMac (iMac14,2?) to MacBookPro9,2. If left blank, El Capitan also boots (and defaults to MacBookPro8,1), but not Mojave, refusing to even begin the process.
Now I have only ONE final issue with my whole hackintosh journey... And that is the faulty detection of Intel HD Graphics 3000 under Mojave, apparently because of lack of Metal support (or rather, Apple used that as the excuse when removing respective drivers for no good reason). It seems people have gotten that card to work, but for that, I have to play with config.plist again, and understand AND patch DSDTs and SSDTs, and install a few missing graphical kexts not found here, and all this only after I double-check some things in BIOS first (my BIOS is pretty crappy and doesn't give many configuration options, which sounds really bad right now).
My graphics card is reported to have only 3 MB of VRAM, but under El Capitan, it correctly reports it as 300-something.
dew

08-02-2019, 08:32 PM -
This is my last post in this thread, because I managed to get everything working now. My GPU issue has been solved with this app: https://github.com/chris1111/Fix-Graphic...ses/tag/V1

Since my GPU was working perfectly in El Capitan, I just installed the Mojave 10.14.6 version option of this hotfix. (After opening the app, you'll be prompted to pick which version of Mojave you wish to patch, so make sure to pick only the option appropriate for your version.)

If graphics weren't working even with El Capitan, more steps would have been required. They are steps 1 to 4 of the first post in this thread: https://www.elitemacx86.com/threads/fix-...-14-x.332/
With the graphics already working, however, I knew there was a chance I could just skip them and install this package. Luckily for me, yes, it worked, but it is advisable to double check things regarding those steps even then nonetheless.

Since my BIOS is super simple and lacks many desired options, I was afraid much of this wouldn't work. But in the end, whatever I had was enough, and I didn't have to learn even a single thing about DSDTs and SSDTs (which is both good and bad). I say this to encourage any potential reader in the future to keep on trying to get their hackintosh working even if not all the concepts are yet understood, but not to tell people that they shouldn't learn about them (DSDTs and SSDTs). Instead, I just mean people can take things slowly and nicely, learning a bit everyday.

Perhaps my experience can aid you in more video guides in the future, Mark. It DID get me started on all this, when I had nothing but PPC Macs, and Windows Intel computers, so thank you nonetheless. It gave me a direction when I was still only in the beginning. In the end, my path was Snow Leopard (on another PC) -> anything between Lion and El Capitan or even High Sierra -> Mojave/Catalina. On an "old" Samsung RV420. And it all looks beautiful and works incredibly well. Just wow. Smile

I do have to say, though, Mac OS X started degrading SO MUCH with each new release, at least as early as in Snow Leopard, up until now with Catalina. I couldn't believe how inconvenient it was to run apps in Mojave that weren't from App Store or from an "Apple-verified" place, and that inconvenience was already half-way there in El Capitan. So much BS. Disk Utility can also be problematic when repartitioning, in ways that weren't a problem before. It seems the switch from PPC to Intel wasn't just a change in architecture, but also in OS design, ever so slowly, and for the worse. Having used all those systems, I have to say Leopard was probably the best, and PPC Tiger the coolest since you can run software from 1983 (beta pre-SSW-1 software) up to 2007+, thanks to Classic. With driver and security updates, they'd still be as useful now as they were then. But that's not convenient from a business perspective (Apple's).

Anyway, cool to have hackintoshed Mojave nonetheless. Smile The OSx86 community did and does amazing things!
Mark
hi my name is mark

08-12-2019, 02:30 PM -
Hi, I'm glad you got your system working! I've been very busy lately and unable to respond. If you have any more issues, feel free to post and I'll try to respond quicker next time!